Introductory lessons into the book of Philippians
By Evangelist Paul Dodson
Read Philippians 1:1-6
Now that we have looked at who wrote the book and to whom it was written, let us now look at Paul's opening statements. The first thing we see is that Paul addresses his letter to "all the saints in Christ Jesus". Paul calls ALL the Christians at Philippi "saints". I don't know about you, but I know a lot of Christians who are not "saints"!!! I'm one of them. However, Paul is not looking at their flesh, but at their spirit. The truth is, if you are a born again christian, you are a saint.
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
"the perfecting of the saints.." You see, as a child of God, you are not perfect, BUT, as a child of God, you are being perfected as God works in your life. Verse 11 tells us that God uses prophets (Someone who warns people of things to come), Evangelist (A preacher that takes the Gospel to those who have not heard), Pastors (those who lead local groups of believers), and teachers (those who instruct in God's Word).
God works in all of our lives differently, but it is always to the same end...to perfect His children, to perfect His saints. Now God will use many situations, circumstances, trials, and hardships to bring about this perfecting, but He will always use His Word, the Bible, to bring it about. It goes without saying then that if you are not in God's Word, there is no perfecting taking place. Get into His Word, get under good preaching on a regular bases, and find a good teacher to help you understand His Word. As you do this, God's perfecting can start bringing you to the spot He wants you to be.
Php 1:2 Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
"Grace be unto you, and peace..."
Without God's Grace, there can be no peace. Grace is where God extends His blessings to us even though we don't deserve it. Need peace in your life? start walking in God's Grace. Need peace in your heart? Let God's Grace abound in your heart.
(1) How many Christians are "saints"? _______________________________________
(2) When we call a person a "saint" are we referring to their body or spirit? ______________________
(3) As a child of God, are you perfect now, or are you being perfected day by day as God works in your life?_______________________________________________________________________
(4) What is the difference between a Prophet, Evangelist, and Pastor? ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(5) What three things should you do so God can "perfect" you as His Child? ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(6) What is Grace?__________________________________________________________________