By Evangelist Paul Dodson
Read Philippians 1:1-6
Grace and Peace
After Paul makes it clear who he is talking to, he make a statement that he has made many times before in other letters, "Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ" (V.2). If you have a KJV Bible, you will notice that the words, "be" and "from" are in italics. This means the words were not there in the original, but was added for clarity. Literally the verse read in the original,
"Grace to you, and peace, from God our Father, and Lord Jesus Christ."
This verse tells us so much. First it mentions "Grace". Now the definition of grace is, "undeserved favor", and in the Bible it speaks of God extending to us His favors although we do not deserve it. Knowing this, "peace" will follow. Peace means, "quietness, rest".
Notice where this "grace" and "peace" comes from.... Not from being rich. No, in fact, "For the love of money is the root of all evil..." (1 Timothy 6:10)
Not from being famous, or even from being religious. No, grace and peace comes only from God, and only by being right with Him. How does one become right with God? The answer to this is by repenting of ones sins, and trusting in God's salvation through Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:9).
Lastly, notice how Paul writes the last part of this verse, "from God the Father, and Lord Jesus Christ". This form of writing does not suggest two separate Gods or forms, but a oneness. Paul writes in such a way as to imply God the Father, and Lord Jesus Chris are the one and same person. This should not be surprising because all through the Bible we see that the Old Testament God and Jesus Christ are the same person, and that Jesus is God. Lets look at a few of them.
Mal 3:1 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.
Notice in this verse that the God of the Old Testament is saying that He will send a messenger ( John the Baptist), and his job was to prepare the way before "me".... Not before someone else, but before "me" , before himself. And then the God of the Old Testament goes on to say that "He" will be the Lord, the Saviour, the messenger of the covenant, whom they are all seeking. WOW, the God of the Old Testament (Father God), is clearly saying that He is coming, and that He is the promised saviour: That He is Jesus Christ to come.
Not two God's, not two parts of one God, but the very same person.
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made
Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,
Who became "flesh" and "dwelt among us"? Jesus Christ of course. In these verses, Jesus Christ is called "the word", and verse one tells us "the Word was God".... "Jesus was God". It also says that "all things were made by Him". This tells us that Jesus is God, and that Jesus was in the beginning, and that Jesus is God.
Joh_10:30 I and my Father are one.
In this verse "my" is not in the original. The original read, "I and Father are one". Jesus is clearing telling His listeners (and us today), that He is the Father.
Joh_14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
Again, Jesus clearly tells us that He is the Father....that He is God.
These are just a few verses that speak of Jesus being God..... So it should not be surprising that Paul uses a form of writing that clearly speaks of a oneness between God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Remember, there is only ONE God, the Lord Jesus Christ, and being in a right relationship with Him will bring you Grace and Peace, not only in this life, but in the life to come.
(1) What is Biblical Grace? ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(2) What two words found in this verse are not in the original? _________________________________________________________________
(3) Where does Grace and Peace come from? ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(4) How does one become right with God? ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(5) List at least two verses that clearly state that God and Jesus are the same one God. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________